Lately I (Sean) have been reminded of how I need to sometimes envision the Karate Kid as I learn Japanese. What a great movie, still a relevant story for my heart today as it was a cool story when it came out at age 7 for me.
It involves trust in the sensei's approach. Like the Japanese janitor Mr. Miyagi, it is creative and effective. Wax on, wax off.
It is the need for real humility which is hard when you have something to prove. It is so dangerous to become self-righteous and look to be justified by something other than Jesus. It is a temptation to have pride in what I can do or despair in what I cannot do. Instead, we can find our security in Christ while being who he made us to be - even in our limitations (which are more obvious when you are in a new culture and trying to speak Japanese). Because if Jesus has declared us right with God, we have nothing to prove, but can love and serve people in Japan or anywhere.