Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Lisa's Reflections
Living in New York was great prep for Tokyo. Below are a few of my reflections from my month in the Big Apple.
When God gives us a gift He wraps it in a person. He gave me over 50 amazing gifts at CCMI. The camaraderie and support from staff, visiting speakers, and other itinerant missionaries was amazing. Being affirmed, and reminded that we’re not crazy for giving up a good “stable” job to raise support and start a church in one of the most unreached countries in the world. To be supported, loved, prayed for by such amazing people was a tremendous blessing. Words of encouragement are powerful. Listening to a friend (and being listened to by a friend) is powerful. **It is hugely important for me to maintain current relationships and form new relationships when I get to Japan. I want want to pray for and find friends that I can do life with who can share my burdens, encourage me, and hold me accountable. I need people. I need their help and support.**
Thank the Lord for our language coaches, Nancy and Misha! I have tools now (and confidence!) that I can learn Japanese. I can learn it at my own pace and I have what I need to ask for help now. I feel much more in the driver’s seat and I don’t feel dependent on my teacher to teach me. Several Japanese friends in Indiana have offered to teach me Japanese, and I always hesitated. I wanted to learn, but didn’t know how. Now I what to do! I’m really motivated to learn, and know that it will be challenging but eventually I will catch on.
I learned the benefits of quietly observing. So many questions pop up in my mind as I intentionally observe what’s going on in a setting. This gives me great opportunities to learn more about the new culture, and fills me with questions to ask a of a person who is familiar with it. I never want to assume that I’m interpreting what I see correctly because I know that my lenses are skewed. I am so grateful for the Cultural Measuring Tools which will help me understand my new city. I know that I cannot contextualize until I understand the culture, or as someone said, “Until I make their stink, my stink too”
