Thursday, July 18, 2013

Finding His Help in Naomi's ER trip last night!


Psalm 79:9

  Help us, O God of our salvation,
    for the glory of your name;
  deliver us, and atone for our sins,
    for your name's sake!
I enter this 2nd day in Japan reminded of our need for You, "O God of our salvation. " You secured both the "help and atonement" this speaks of for me - in the person and work of Jesus! Father, Son, and Spirit, my help and deliverance comes from no one else or nothing else in all of creation. I don't have to work to earn your approval, it is already been done by Christ. So I can joyfully rest in the provision that this describes that you offer, and find your strong help and freedom afresh from indwelling sin. Help me to constantly remember both today all day as it is so much more satisfying than living for myself. I need more than anything to live for Your glory today, not my own! I can't thank you enough for giving me help and rescue!  
Speaking of His help, we were given it yesterday. God was faithful! Last night, we had a welcome party on the 36th floor of a near-by high rise apartment building called Toyosu Symbol. We walked there in the rain and were greeted by a small group of Japanese friends who have been attending Grace Harbor Church gatherings. Naoko and the others arranged a big sample of Japanese food and Krispy Kreme donuts for us to enjoy! I was struck by how this group felt like the beginnings of a new church here. 
But soon after arriving, things got difficult. Ian had a major meltdown, being exhausted from the jet lag and full day of play and unpacking. In the middle of that, Naomi fell into a square table's sharp edge. She had a gash on her forehead. With Lisa holding her, I had to run back to our apt. with Atsushi to get our insurance card. Lisa was crying. Atsushi and I prayed together on the way. I was really concerned and afraid. So she was taken to the ER - after being in Japan only about 24 hours! Thankfully, She got in and out very quickly. She didn't have to have stitches! She said when she was done - "Mimi go party." She wanted to go back to the party! Ian was fast asleep for the rest of the night and Kai was having an awesome time playing with the kids. Naomi is fine!
When Naomi and Lisa came back in with a bandage on her forehead above her right eye, we all rejoiced and felt so relieved. We couldn't believe how fast it was.
We concluded the night by hearing from each person there about one thing they recommended we experience in Japan. Coming in late after work was a good friend from Durham, NC, Shinichi. I was able to spendThen, they heard from Lisa and I about my hopes and dreams about our time in Japan. 
All while looking out on Tokyo's lit-up skyline from 36 floors up. The God of this beautiful City is the God of our salvation. That is just too wonderful. I want to live for his glory because He is so faithful. 
Lisa just left with Ian to attend his first day of kindergarten (yochien)! He is going for a day before summer break begins tomorrow (about 40 days long). I will play with Kai and Naomi as they watch Japanese children's television - as it helps us all learn Japanese! We will try to get our phones today and continue to move into our new apartment. I rejoice in his help and atoning grace.
Sean