It is a rainy afternoon here today. I went for a run around our area- something I have really enjoyed as I learn my way around, enjoying the "river" (canal), buildings, and people. There are a lot of runners here! The kids were able to swim at a nearby park with a couple Japanese moms and their kids. They then were taken out by those moms for milkshakes and pretzels (as lunch) and so came home very happy. Our planned Japanese bank trip was postponed and I (Sean) am preparing to help a teammate move. That means I am driving for the first time here! Tonight we have a team dinner with a visiting staff from Redeemer's City to City Network.
As we go about the mission of God here in Tokyo, I am grateful to be surrounded by wise people to help us, those who "smell like Jesus." Here is some perspective I received this week from Dr. Jennings, my former professor from Covenant Seminary and a long-time worker in Japan (as well as fellow Alabamian):
"The main focus for you all, of course, is language and culture learning – for both you and Lisa if at all possible. I would encourage you to prioritize Lisa’s language learning over your own, although hopefully you both will be able to learn at the same pace. I would go so far as to suggest that you should have no higher priority over the next couple of years than Lisa’s language growth....
As for other resources, no doubt you have already been given many items by your missionary colleagues. Take advantage of those, although be careful about thinking that reading will give you understanding of Japan. In my own case, I read plenty about amae, ie, and other constructs early on, but in my own case it was four years in Japan of intense language growth and just living that led – finally – to it dawning on me that I did not understand Japan. I kinda thought that I didn’t understand certain things, but it wasn’t until four years into it that it really hit me that I did not understand. Life in Japan is that different from what it is in America. Nothing short of lived experience helps to grow into sensing Japan from the inside......" Douzo, Kami-sama wo sinraisinagara, isshoukenmei nihongo wo benkyou si, nihonjin wo shiriai si, sosite mainiti herikudatte kudasai. Inotte imasu.
Some teammates helped me translate it this way:
"As you trust in God – please work hard at studying Japanese, get to know Japanese people, and daily humble yourself (as you do these things). I'm praying for you."
Lisa and I met today with our two language instructors, led by the leader of the school, Takahashi-sensei. It was surprising and actually very encouraging to hear that our goal will not be to learn perfect Japanese, but to as he put it, "to learn your own Japanese." We will begin on August 3, covering the basic syntax in 12 weeks (for our first term). Until then, he counseled us to prepare by having a fresh mind, smile, and just relax! They are flexible with how we structure our time as Lisa and I learn together (we are still working on that). He did say that he believes that while language is our "project", raising our kids is the "biggest project." I appreciate prayer that we will take this to heart, so that we will actually enjoy learning Japanese.
Sean